In this review of Licious, I look at how easy it is to get meat delivered to your home in Bangalore. Ever since I started reviewing online grocery delivery portals like BigBasket, Grofers & ZopNow, a major pain point has been the lack of online meat delivery options. I’ve ordered chicken keema occassionaly from BigBasket, but availability as well as freshness has been an issue.
And then came along Licious.in, delivering fresh meats to your home within 90 minutes.
Pros of Licious
I’ve ordered from Licious approximately 4 or 5 times over the last 3 months. Overall, I am impressed.
- Fast, fast, so fast — I order in the morning and usaully the meat is delivered within 60 minutes, even before my maid arrives
- Fresh, fresh, fresh — Cooking fresh chicken has a completely different flavour and texture. Licious chicken is softer and much tastier than frozen chicken. The mutton has also been consistently good.
- Great packaging — It’s trendy, it’s attractive, it’s super cool. Man, making mutton and chicken trendy is hard stuff but Licious has done it.
Price of Licious Chicken, Lamb, and Seafood
The range of items is pretty good. You get (price per 500 grams)
- Chicken — Mince (Rs 175), Drumsticks ( Rs 145), Breast boneless (Rs 170), Curry cut (Rs 115), whole chicken with skin (Rs 195), Lollypop (Rs 135), Thigh (Rs 140)
- Lamb (Licious Mutton) — Chops (Rs 280), boneless (Rs 330), Curry cut (Rs 255), mince (Rs 340)
- Seafood — Red snapper fillet (Rs 450), Prawns medium (Rs 635), Pomfret (Rs 785), Red snapper steak (Rs 400), Seer steak (Rs 575), Mackeral ( Rs 115), Catla (Rs 120), Prawns large (Rs 900), Blue crab (Rs 400), salmon steaks (Rs 590), sea bass fillet (Rs 650), Rohu (Rs 120), Black pomfret (Rs 475)
- Marinates — You get a lot of pre-marinated chicken and mutton items. Never tried these.
- Specials — of the day
- Cold cuts — sausages and hams. A limited range of products mostly chicken and turkey.
Negatives of Licious
Minimum Rs 300 order value — This contradicts the freshness proposition of Licious. If I only want 500 grams of say boneless chicken, I still have to order 500 grams of chicken mince and one more thing to meet the Rs 300 minimum order. Hence, I’m forced to freeze the meat for another day.
- Expensive prawns and seafood — I don’t know why its so expensive but Rs 635 for 0.5 kg of medium prawns is just SOO expensive
- No beef or pork— I’m tired of politically sensitive behaviour. I think a democracy is where you can choose to have whatever you want, without any restrictions being placed by the government or society at large.
- Labelling — While the packaging is great, the labelling is not so great. If I’ve ordered 3 boxes of meat from Licious I find it impossible to know what’s in what packet without sliding it open. Just a small sticker would make life so much easier
- Availability issues — If I had to buy prawns, it would be quite hard to buy it from Licious as it is almost always sold out.
- Strange marketing — Our landlord is a VEGGIEEE-tarian Tam-Brahm. Somehow they are somewhat okay with our “food habits”. However, the day after we ordered from Licious I noticed a marketing tag hanging from the front gate of our Tam-Brahm house: “Order fresh meats from Licious!” A little insensitive, don’t you say?
- Lish-what? — The Licious customer guys have called me a couple times, each time starting the conversation with ‘Hi, Ma’am, I”m calling from Licious.’ Me: ‘Lish-what?’ Him: ‘Licious’ Me: ‘I think you have the wrong number.’ Him: ‘No, no, Ma’am, you had ordered chicken mince..’ Me: ‘Chicken what?’ Him: ‘Ma’am, LISH-US. Chicken order.’ Me: ‘Ohhh’
Licious Coupon Code
We’ve got a great Licious coupon code through which you can get Rs 250 off on your first order:
Licious coupon code: Gu7H88
Just add items to your cart and when you are checking out, you can use the above coupon code.
Update: June 2016 – Licious has just updated their website, so this coupon code is no longer valid. They do have daily specials running with coupons such as “Tender” — so you have to check the website to see if you can avail any discounts