For the last couple of months (ever since I’ve moved to Bangalore) I’ve become a fan of online grocery shopping site BigBasket.com.
What I like about BigBasket:
- They deliver: Oh yes they do. I am talking literally (
products delivered on timeproducts delivered on time in certain parts of Bangalore and delivered atrociously late in other parts of Bangalore) and metaphorically (deliver a great experience). Since we don’t take the car out too much, most of our grocery shopping offline happens at Star Bazaar (which is also great) or Big Bazaar (little more downmarket in our area). However, lugging home cartons of milk and heavy bottles of oil isn’t the most enjoyable experience.
- Free delivery: Yes, I prefer free delivery (on purchases over Rs 1000) vs delivery charges (Rs 20 for less than Rs 1000). But I have now come to the realization that Rs 20 is not thaaaat much! 🙂
- Flexible schedule: They let you choose when you want your goods delivered. They give you 4 time slots within the next 36 hours, so you have the flexibility of deciding when you want the guys to come over. Moreover, even if you aren’t at home, they are flexible enough to call you and say can we come tomorrow morning then? It’s pretty awesome.
- Great team: When the red Big Basket van comes rolling into our apartment complex, there is excitement on our faces. The delivery men are cheerful, wearing Big Basket uniforms, and work efficiently. Upon delivering they ask for the pin code (to ensure that they’ve delivered to the right house). Overall, you feel secure ordering from BigBasket.
- Related products: I bought soil, pots, seeds, and a khurpi from Big Basket!! Yes, I did. The first step towards home gardening can now happen online and it’s great!
- Great vegetables: Everything is clean and hygienically packed. Also, you get a range of organic and pesticide free veggies.
- Cashback schemes: They have a 2 to 4% cashback scheme running currently as well other promos (Big 5 sale – 5% off). These promos are easy to find (button viewable on the checkout page, which is great).
What I don’t like that much about BigBasket:
- Out of stock: A lot of things are perpetually out of stock. Like mushrooms. Which means I have to go to my local grocery store anyway
- Limited range: I was looking for a particular brand of milk, couldn’t find it on Big Basket. Also was looking for a particular brand of biscuits, couldn’t find. Looking for Keggs eggs. Couldn’t find. Wish they would increase their range soon.
- Under-ripe bananas: Some veggies, especially bananas, take a week to ripen after Big Basket delivers. So now we’re buying our bananas from the local shop. This is a common fruit syndrome, we’ve noticed.
- The App: Mr T tried using it several times; it’s quite buggy (not sure what exactly doesn’t work well.) The website is pretty simple to use, but could improve. Especially product details and photographs.
- Meats & Fish: Yesterday we cooked the fish we ordered from Big Basket (Rohu) only to discover that 1 fish came with 1 head and 2 tails!! We chucked away the pieces, obviously, and came to the conclusion that we are no longer going to order fish or meat with bones from Big Basket. Quite disappointing!
BigBasket.com delivers groceries in Banglalore, Mumbai, Pune & Hyderabad. Mr T and I order groceries approximately 3 or 4 times a month, spending around Rs 500 – Rs 2500 on each purchase and we love it!
What I hate about BigBasket:
July 2015 Update: I recently moved to east Bangalore and the experience here has been VERY disappointing. First time I ordered, the order came at 11 am when I chose the 7.30 am to 9.30 am slot. Worst still, two items were missing. Spoke to customer care and they apologised for both the late delivery and the missing items. When I said I still want the order, they said I would have to make a ‘replacement order’ for the next day. I chose an available slot was 7.30 to 9.30 am, saying I need the items first thing in the morning. I asked them if they could make a note to ensure that I get the item as soon as possible. They said they’d try. And when did I receive the item — at 2pm!! The delivery boy gave some lame excuse of ‘vehicle problems’.
There is something inherently wrong here: Big Basket screws up the order. Instead of apologising and saying they’ll send my items as soon as possible, they make it seem like they are doing me a favour by creating a ‘replacement order at my request.’ Then they screw up delivery times repeatedly — blaming the roads and the clouds and the stars — every but their own crappy delivery systems.
BigBasket Bangalore really needs to rectify this asap!
Also read my review of ZopNow, another online grocery shopping website.