This review of Urban Ladder has been a long time coming. Mr T and I got married last December and our lovely cousins decided to pool together and buy us some much needed furniture to add some oomph into our bare apartment. They asked us to choose what we liked online and they would then order it. After scouring what felt like hundreds of online furniture stores including FabFurnish, PepperFry, Amazon, Flipkart, we knew we had only one option: Urban Ladder.
What I like about Urban Ladder
- Simply Gorgeous – Yep, no other words to describe the furniture produced by Urban Ladder. It is stylish, sometimes minimal, sometimes retro-chic with a classy look that we couldn’t find anywhere else. The design team of Urban Ladder is great. They take time in creating new products (or sourcing them) but the quality speaks for itself.
- Quality, quality, quality – Buying anything online is scary. Especially furniture (read our experience with FabFurnish). But with Urban Ladder, you can trust the quality of the furniture.
- Solid wood – Most furniture you buy nowadays is ply and compressed wood. But with Urban Ladder, you are assured real wood. We ordered an Alexandria book shelf, an Striado sideboard and an Edo sofa-bed (seems to have been discontinued). Both the wooden pieces were from solid sheesham wood. It’s real stuff and it’s good stuff, I assure you. (Mr T still has his doubts – but the confusion arises from the mahogany or teak finish to the wood. It’s still real wood.)
- Easy to order – Since we never ordered this ourselves, I can’t talk about the process of ordering. However, our cousins had no complaints, so it was all good!
- Delivery as a whole – Unlike our experience with FabFurnish (who sent us unassembled furniture and took half the day to assemble it), Urban Ladder sends you the entire piece already assembled. Yes, huge pieces of furniture boxed and crated as the final product. All that remains for the delivery guys to do is put in some knobs. This was awesome.
- Lasts long, very long – Like I mentioned, the pieces are solid. They are a lifetime investment. Unlike our FabFurnish dining set which creaks everytime we sit on it!
- EMI – Yes, it’s expensive. Ridiculously so. However they do have a nice EMI option on the website which allows you to buy now and pay later.
- Buy entire looks – This is a cool, recent concept they’ve introduced. Where you can buy an entire look of a room. I have mixed emotions about this – on the one hand, it’s amazing to be able to buy a gorgeous room straight from a picture, but on the other hand, isn’t your home supposed to reflect your own personality and needs and desires? I’m not sure how I feel about this.
- Discounts – Urban Ladder doesn’t do discounts like other sites. It’s not gimmicky. Usually you will only get 5% off on certain, limited products. However, I can see now that they have upto Rs 5000 (or 15%) off on their dining sets. Not bad!
- Trust – Urban Ladder is backed by some powerful VC firms like Sequoia, Kalahari and Ratan Tata’s group.
What I dislike about Urban Ladder
- Expensive – It really is quite expensive. Sadly so. For example, decent six-seater dining table will cost anything from Rs 30,000+. However, it is good quality stuff. And it is stuff which you can’t find elsewhere (easily). And it is easier than getting a carpenter to make something for you for a cheaper price but with uncertain results.
Limited stock – Very often, you’ll see a product you really like with a ‘SOLD OUT’ sign. You’ll return to the website day after day, month after month — and the product will still say ‘Sold Out’. Quite unfortunate because online purchases are often impulsive.
- Limited variety – Almost 6 months after ordering, I can see perhaps a 10% increase in their range of Coffee Tables (which we were planning on ordering back then). If you don’t find something you like on Urban Ladder, chances you won’t find it anytime soon. I mean, it’s good from a quality perspective, but from a buyer’s perspective, if I don’t find something I like, I’m going elsewhere!
- Limited styles – You basically have four styles of furniture on Urban ladder right now — a solid wooden minimalistic style, an IKEA style, an ornate Victorian style, and a roadside dhaba style. (Most of the range is in the wooden minimalistic style.)
Overall, I love Urban Ladder and hope to be able to buy more pieces from them in the near future!
Urban Ladder Coupon Code
You can use the following Urban Ladder referral coupon code to get a Rs 2000 discount: YOUxME_Tanuj_RELEBD
It is valid for all purchases above Rs 5000, and is valid till November 15, 2016.