The Indian beauty and wellness market is full of ‘natural, organic, handmade’ products, but I’ve always been a little suspicious about whether or not ‘natural’ actually means ‘natural.’ One company I’ve had a great experience is Soulflower. I’ve been using Soulflower products for several years now and, I have to say I quite love them!
I’ve used Soul flower essential oils and carrier oils, shampoo bars and massage oils, and I’ve had mostly a great experience with all the products I’ve used.
Difference between Essential Oils & Carrier Oils
Firstly, you have to know the difference between essential oils and carrier oils. Essentials oils basically highly concentrated oils that are derived from the barks, roots, stems or leaves of plants. They are so strong that it could burn you if you apply it directly onto your skin. You never need more than a few drops of an essential oil. Most essential oils should be mixed with milder, carrier oils before use. They need to be stored in dark bottles to prevent degradation.
Carrier oils are derived from the fatty parts of plants such kernels, seeds or nuts. They are much less potent and can be used in greater quantities, especially in your hair. They can be stored in clear containers without worry.
Soulflower products I’ve used:
Soulflower Tea Tree Oil is great for it’s antiseptic properties. It’s very strong, very potent and you should be cautious before applying. It’s used for:
- Acne Treatment
- Dandruff Control
- Prevents hair fall
- Antibacterial & antifungal
- Natural Antiseptic
It’s supposed to be great for viral warts as well. I’ve used it for battling dandruff. Please use it in very small quantities and ideally after diluting with a carrier oil! Soulflower essential oil – Tea Tree Oil is available on Amazon.in for Rs 450.
This is the best smelling oil I’ve come across. Put a couple of drops on your pillow and slip into heavenly dreams. Apply a few drops on your hair (after mixing with a carrier oil such as Argan Oil) and your hair will smell great forever.
It is also great for:
- Lavender Essential oil for the skin can be attributed to its antiseptic and antifungal properties. It is used to treat various skin disorders such as acne, wrinkles, psoriasis, and other inflammations.
- It heals wounds, cuts, burns, and sunburns rapidly as it aids in the formation of scar tissues. Other health benefits of lavender essential oil include its ability to remove nervous tension, relieve pain, disinfect scalp and skin, enhance blood circulation and treat respiratory problems.
- Mix with a carrier oil and apply to heal skin inflammations
- Add to bath water to relax & refresh your body and soul
- Uplift your mood by adding a few drops to Soulflower ceramic oil diffuser
Soulflower Coldpressed Argan Carrier Oil
Souflower Argan Oil is actually one of my favourites. It’s quite mild and nutty smelling, and is great for the hair and the skin. It’s very mild and soothing and can be applied directly. Great for frizzy hair like mine! It’s quite expensive (Rs 680 for a decent sized 30ml bottle), however, much cheaper than the more famous MoroccanOil – Oil treatment For All Hair Types (.85 oz.), which costs over Rs 2000 (and has the same primary ingredient – Argan oil!) Soulflower Argan oil si really a great substitute for MoroccanOil.
It is used for:
- Face and Body : Use as a daily moisturizer, applied right after you take a shower in the morning
- Helps the skin cells to function properly as well as regenerate
- Keeps skin from getting dry and cracking
- Perfect for both oily and dry skin
- Hair : Soothes dry scalp and prevents frizzy hair, restores shine and luster
- Penetrates easily into the hair follicles and cures split ends
- Makes hair manageable and silky
- Massage : Mix with Soulflower Lavender essential oil and use to get rid of any inflammation on your skin
- Reduces aches and pains due to arthritis
- Stretch Marks : Apply on stomach to help prevent stretch marks
- Nails : Strengthens weak and easily breakable nails
- It also strengthens the delicate skin at the root of nails and makes it smooth
- Skin Eruption : Heals blemishes and prevents new breakouts
- Reduces patches or spots due to acne, chickenpox and psoriasis
- Anti-Aging : Reduces scars and wrinkles
- It is also an excellent anti-oxidant, rich in beta carotene
- It has anti-inflammatory properties, rich in essential fatty acids, and contains squalene which can help to protect against any damage caused by free radicals
- Moisturize your scalp and prevent dandruff
- Soothes skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis
- Makes the hair shiny as a conditioner & encourages hair growth by strengthening the shaft
- Fixes split ends
- Perfect emollient for the face and lips
Soulflower Coldpressed Castor Carrier Oil is available on Amazon.in for Rs 250 (200 ml).